Monday 24 May 2010

Ladysmith Black Mambazo

Ladysmith Black Mambazo represents the traditional culture of South Africa and is regarded as the country's cultural emissary at home and around the world. The traditional music sung by Ladysmith Black Mambazo is called ISICATHAMIYA (Is-Cot-A-Me-Ya).

The name LADYSMITH BLACK MAMBAZO is a combination of name and meaning put together (Ladysmith) is the hometown of the head singer Joseph Shabalala and his family; (Black) refers to the black oxen, considered to be the strongest amongst the other oxen on the farm. The Zulu word (Mambazo) refers to an axe it symbolises the group's ability to "chop down" the competition.

I find their dancing and singing very moving, strong harmony that captivates you. I first heard them in 1991 singing (The Moon Is Walking) at the end of Michael Jacksons Moon walker video, I was 10 years old then. I spent years looking for them, until I heard them on the Heinz Back beans advert, even though I could not see them I recognised their voice. Then the actual track that was played on the advert was advertised for sale in Woolworth where I bought my first of their music. I have all their albums and some of their video tape and DVD. All my friends know, my favourite music group is the Ladysmith Black Mambazo. My wish it to meet them and go to their concert.

Ladysmith Black Mambazo ... doin' the dance

No comments:

Post a Comment